1903 Sutherland House
Brooknook is the home originally occupied by Edward Sutherland, the first president of Andrews University, in Berrien Springs, Michigan. This simple yet classic house, built in 1903, also served as the campus infirmary and student housing before being abandoned in the 1950s, subsequently suffering from neglect and lack of heating. In 1984, the World Mission realized the potential of this structure to house their offices, and called Crumlish and Crumlish Architects to restore and refurbish the house, which was upgraded with new roofing, insulation, heating and cooling, new wiring and handicapped-accessible restrooms. Several fine details of the house were restored, including the corner porch tower that had disappeared decades earlier and was reconstructed from old photographs. Stairways and mantels were rebuilt and restored, and today, the living room serves a a period room with furniture from the Sutherland era.
Built in 1850 in Cassopolis, Michigan by Charles Kingsbury, this splendid Greek Revival house was completely dismantled and relocated near South Bend, Indiana. All siding and windows were removed, and the large timber frame was taken down. These parts were brought to the new site where the frame was repegged and recovered. Crumlish and Crumlish Architects designed the dependencies, which were not part of the original design, but were added to form a garage and potter's studio. This house was featured in the October 1995 edition of Country Home magazine.
Dvorak Porch Replication
Deferred maintenance resulted in the loss of the original porch on this circa 1905 riverfront house. The current owner chose to replicate the original porch based on an historic postcard, Sanborn fire map, and details observed on nearby homes constructed during that era.
Historic Restorations and Adaptive Reuse Projects
- 1864 Baraga House, Sault Ste. Marie, MI Historic restoration of the home of Frederic Baraga, catholic missionary and first Bishop of the Upper Peninsula. [Construction completed 1987]
Barker Woods, Michigan City, IN Historic preservation and adaptive reuse of an historic home and grounds into administrative facilities for the National Audubon Society Regional Headquarters. [Construction completed 1982]
Berrien Springs Downtown Revitalization Study, Berrien Springs, MI Design, planning and development of downtown facade guidelines booklet for historic streetscape, including individual facade studies, sidewalk layouts, and proposed signage and landscaping. [Design completed 1994].
1909 Beudert Residence, South Bend, IN Schematic design for restoration of front porch and attic conversion for an historic home in Riverside Drive Local Historic District. [Construction completed 2008].
Bible Baptist Church, Augusta, MI Preliminary designs and cost estimates for an historically sensitive addition to a 19th century church. [Design completed 1996]
- Brown Residence, Osceola, IN Reconstruction and re-use of historic 19th century Greek Revival farmhouse, relocated from Cassopolis, Michigan to Osceola. Featured in Country Home magazine, 1997; and Better Homes and Gardens The New Remodeling Book, 1998. [Construction completed 1989]
Budny Building, South Bend, IN Exterior facade improvements for masonry storefront building in downtown South Bend. [Construction completed 2003]
- Clark Lodge, Buchanan, MI Sensitive adaptation of new exterior porch overlooking the St. Joseph River at the Clark Company corporate lodge. [Construction completed 1990]
- Cotter Street Survey, South Bend, IN Architectural reconnaissance survey and research for INDoHP Section 106 study of proposed impact of new roadway through former Studebaker Manufacturing grounds. [Survey completed spring 2008].
- 1873 Old County Records Building, Berrien Springs, MI Cost estimates for future restoration of original county records building. [Further design work pending funding applications.]
- 1873 Old County Records Building, Berrien Springs, MI Construction documents for fire damage repairs to original county records building. [Construction completed summer 2008.]
1839 Courthouse Master Plan, Berrien Springs, MI Summary plan for future improvements and restoration efforts for the buildings and grounds of the historic Courthouse Museum and Sheriff's House complex. [Further design work pending funding applications.]
- 1839 Courthouse Museum Accessibility, Berrien Springs, MI Historically sensitive modifications and renovations to make the historic courthouse museum more accessible to persons with disabilities. [Further design work pending funding applications.]
- 1839 Courthouse Museum Restoration, Berrien Springs, MI Historically sensitive reconstruction of original masonry chimneys, reconstruction of historic perimeter fencing, re-painting of the courthouse siding and re-glazing of the windows. [Construction completed 1994
- 1887 Costello House, South Bend, IN Renovation of wood clapboard exterior siding, trim, doors and windows of the rear addition to an historic home. [Construction completed 2004]
- 1933 Cypress Log House, Beverly Shores, IN Preliminary designs and cost estimates for rehabilitation of former Chicago World’s Fair “Century of Progress” home now relocated in Beverly Shores. [Study completed 1999]
- Dvorak Residence, South Bend, IN Schematic design for restoration of missing front porch on an historic home in North Shore Drive Local Historic District. [Construction completed 2010].
- Galien Railroad Depot, Galien MI Preliminary cost estimates for renovation of a former Michigan Central Railroad depot. [Project abandoned and building razed by AMTRAC in 2008]
- 1885 Garwood House, LaPorte, IN Preliminary designs for exterior porch reconstruction, slate roof replacement and masonry chimney and wall repairs on an 1880’s farmstead. [Design completed 2001]
- Greater New Vision Church, South Bend, IN Adaptive reuse of 1920's retail hardware store for a new church and daycare center. [Construction completed 1996 ]
- Gregory Residence, Edwardsburg, MI Feasibility study and master plan for addition to historic 19th century home. [Study completed 1998]
- Howland Residence, South Bend, IN New home done as a precise replica from historic American Building Survey drawings of the 1755 George Wythe House in Williamsburg, Virginia. [Construction completed 1996]
- 1889 Hinchman School, Hinchman, MI Feasibility study and cost estimating for an adaptive reuse of an historic one-room schoolhouse into a gift shop and offices. [Study completed 1993]
- 1930 Leone Residence, South Bend, IN Historically sensitive re-roofing of masonry home, and reconstruction of garage facade in Riverside Drive Local Historic District. [Construction completed 2000]
- 1858 Lighthouse Renovation, Michigan City, IN, Exterior and window renovation (In Progress 2019).
- 1940 Manufacturing Technology Inc, Storage Building, South Bend, IN Design and construction documents for rehabilitation of former 1920’s industrial building for modern storage facility. [Construction completed 2006]
- 1908 Nolan-Minkler Building, South Bend, IN Adaptive reuse of former retail complex into administrative offices and conference center for the Near Northwest Neighborhood, Inc. [Construction completed 1998]
- Oliver Plow Park, South Bend, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates and construction documents for commemorative memorial to employees of former Oliver Plow Works, South Bend. [Study and documents completed 2009]
- Oliver School, South Bend, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates for adaptive reuse of early 1900's elementary school as apartments and senior's center. [Study completed 1986]
- Paw Paw Downtown Facades Study, Paw Paw, MI Design, planning and development of downtown facade guidelines booklet for 61 historic individual facade studies, and proposed signage and landscaping. [Design completed 2013].
- Pepple Block Study, South Bend, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates for proposed renovation of former 1930's retail complex. [Study completed 1999].
- Portage Café, South Bend, IN Exterior facade improvements for 1940’s masonry storefront building in South Bend. [Design completed 2004].
- Probst House, South Bend, IN Historically sensitive landscaping, site lighting and parking lot design for an historic 19th century home, now used as professional offices. [Construction completed 2000]
- 1888 Ridgeway Building, LaPorte, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates for proposed renovation of 1890’s retail block. [Study completed 2002]
- River of Life Church, South Bend, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates for code improvements to historic 1934 United Brethren Church. [Study completed 1999].
- Roseland Survey, South Bend, IN Windshield survey and initial documentation of potential historic properties in Roseland [Survey completed 2005]
- 1964 St. Adalbert's Parish Office Building South Bend, IN Design and construction documents for conversion of former parish convent to parish offices. [Construction to begin in 2008].
- 1935 St. Ambrose Church, Anderson, IN Building facility assessment for a 5-building parish campus featuring early-to-middle 20th century church, rectory and parish classroom buildings. [Study completed 2013]
- 1948 St. Henry Church, Medaryville, IN Building facility assessment for a single church parish building. [Study completed 2013]
- 1850 St. Joseph Church, Delphi, IN Building facility assessment for a 5-building parish campus featuring 19th century church and rectory. [Study completed 2015]
- 1964 St. Joseph Church, Frankfort, IN Building facility assessment for a 5-building parish campus featuring 20th century church and rectory. [Study completed 2014]
- 1955 St. Mary Church, Muncie, IN Building facility assessment for a 9-building parish campus featuring early-to-middle 20th century church, rectory and parish classroom buildings. [Study completed 2013]
- 1930 Seabaugh Residence, South Bend, IN Design and construction documents for historically sensitive addition to historic home. [Construction completed 2006]
1827 Henry Rowe Schoolcraft House, Sault Ste. Marie, MI Restoration and reconstruction of portions of the original Federal-style home of the first Indian Agent of the Michigan Territory for use as a period structure. [Construction completed 2000].
- 1870 Sheriff's House Museum, Berrien Springs, MI Restoration of the historic masonry structure and adaptive re-use for the Berrien County Historical Association museum, period rooms, offices and county records archives. [Construction completed 1984]
1893 M.B. Skinner Building, South Bend, IN Structural and window improvements as a facade rehabilitation for masonry industrial building. [Construction completed 2004]
- 1840 Smith Chapel, Edwardsburg, MI Exterior building assessment for a one-room wood chapel. [Study completed 2002]
- South Bend Animal Control Shelter, South Bend IN Adaptive reuse of turn-of-the-century Firehouse #8 into offices and kennels for new city department. [Construction completed 1999].
- South Bend Controls, South Bend, IN Preliminary designs for facade and window modernization on 1920's industrial building. [Design completed 1998].
- South Bend Latheworks and Singer Sewing Machine Factory, South Bend, IN Adaptive reuse of historic 19th century industrial buildings along South Bend's East Race for use as an hotel, restaurant and office. [Construction completed 1986]
- South Bend Monument Company, South Bend, IN Exterior facade improvements for 1920’s masonry storefront building in South Bend. [Design completed 2003].
- 1903 Sutherland House, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, MI Restoration and adaptive reuse of the historic home of the university's first president, for the offices and conference center of the World Mission of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. [Construction completed 1985].
- 1907 Swank House, South Bend, IN Restoration of wood clapboard exterior and windows of historic home of Leo Swank early South Bend dry cleaning businessman, located in Riverside Drive Local Historic District. [Construction completed 1995; this is the former home of Brendan Crumlish].
- 1911 Talcott House, South Bend, IN Interior renovation of historic home in Riverside Drive Local Historic District and originally design by architect Earnest Young for Thadeus Talcott, then editor of the South Bend Tribune. [Construction completed 2005; this is the current home of Brendan Crumlish].
- 1855 Trinity Episcopal Church, Niles, MI Historically sensitive exterior masonry restorations and re-roofing work, and new interior handicap restroom facilities. [Construction completed 1999].
- 1910 United Methodist Church, North Liberty, IN An historically sensitive new front entrance with handicap accessibility for church. [Construction completed 2003]
- 1911 W.E. Newton Co. Building , San Angelo TX An historically sensitive, partial interior office remodeling of an historic 4-story furniture warehouse in downtown San Angelo. [Construction completed 2010.]
- Walnut Grove School, South Bend, IN Schematic designs, cost estimates and project administration for relocation of historic 19th century, one-room, wood schoolhouse, now used as an interpretative center for SBCSC students. [Construction completed 1992]
- Van Buren Center, South Bend, IN Preliminary cost estimates, schematic designs and construction documents for remodeling of a 1930’s neighborhood grocery store for a community meeting center. [Construction completed 2013.]
Veni Candy Shop, Niles, MI Design consultations for second floor alterations and marquee above an historic candy shop. [Construction completed 2009]
- 1888 Zion United Church of Christ, South Bend, IN Feasibility study and cost estimates for rehabilitation and maintenance work on historic church and Sunday school building. [Study completed 2008].